Dementia Care Skills for Nurses:
Target Audience: Nurses caring for people with dementia.
Aim of Course:
To equip nurses with the knowledge and skills necessary to provide high quality care for people with dementia.
At the end of this course the participants will be able to:
• List the main types of dementia and describe their general characteristics and how they
• Understand the importance of person centred assessment and life story work in good
• Recognise behaviours which challenge and the communication methods that can be used
to prevent and treat these behaviours.
• Apply general communication techniques in practice.
• Understand the importance of activities and meaningful occupation for the person with
Day 1 AM Session 1:
What is dementia/Alzheimer’s
Day 1 PM Session 2:
Assessment • Why/How diagnose early?
Day 2 AM Session 3:
Day 2 PM Session 4:
• Person centred assessment
• Behaviour’s which challenge
• Communication strategies
• Strategies at meal times/personal care
• Importance of activities
• Tailoring Activities
Duration: 2 Days